TeenPact Wyoming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TeenPact Wyoming

A forum dedicated to help TeenPact Wyoming attendees keep in touch.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Over-the-Internet Debate?

Go down 
+4
GraceAnn
Rachel P.
Abby Gettinger
Gov. Elijah
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gov. Elijah
Admin
Gov. Elijah

Over-the-Internet Debate? Empty
PostSubject: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I know that there was some discussion over email about having an over-the-internet debate. What are everyone's thoughts/opinions/ideas? What issues should we debate? Should it be one-on-one debating or two large groups?

Hope to hear your ideas soon!

In Christ,
Elijah
Galatians 2:20
Back to top Go down
http://elijahlowry.blogspot.com/
Abby Gettinger

Abby Gettinger

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey, everyone,

Are we going for topics that are mainly related to Christianity, i.e. eternal security, or are we opening up to political topics, i.e. should the U.S. have entered WW II, scientific topics, i.e. global warming, and or others? Sorry I put so many "i.e"s in there. I also have some other ideas for topics, but I am kind of wanting to know what type of topics everyone else wants to debate.

I, personally, would prefer to do the debating in groups, but that's just me.

Does anyone have any ideas or preferences?

Your sister in Him,
Abby Gettinger
Colossians 2:6-8
Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 pm

I have several ideas too, but we should pick a category, at least to start out with. Religious, political, moral, etc. etc...
I honestly think this is a great idea, and I'll admit, I don't use critical thinking as much as I probably should, so this would be good practice.
What are your opinions?
Back to top Go down
GraceAnn

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey Guys!

I love all the enthusiasm to sharpen our critical thinking and debate skills! May we always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks us a reason of the hope that is in us with gentleness and respect! (1 Peter 3:15)

I do have a concern though... this forum could be viewed by others who don't share the same opinions we do, so if we do end up debating religious, moral, or even political subjects, we need to be super careful in not being disrespectful or even critical in our speech. Whatever topics we do, please always be gentle and respectful (remember 1 Peter 3:15!).

Perhaps we could do topics like, "Resolved: That Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches taste better than Ham Sandwiches." Smile
Back to top Go down
Alyssa Barnsdale

Alyssa Barnsdale

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 pm

GraceAnn has a great point and something I have thought a lot about to.

I would love to debate as a group. I think it would help the growing process in each person more if we all knew what each of us was saying.

Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 am

Yeah, I agree with you GraceAnn. At least for starters, I think we should keep it to irrelevant or silly topics, nothing too serious. But what do some of you guys think? So far only the girls have given any input.
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 am

I agree heartily with GraceAnn. We all have different ideas and opinions. Down the road we will disagree with one another, but lets not get into a catfight over religion. Some politics might be ok, but we must be careful. I would hate to make any of my new friends angry tongue

Back to top Go down
Tabi

Tabi

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Yeah I think it would be fun to debate stuff that isn't to serious Smile
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 7:24 pm

My parents gave me the idea of limiting the debates to a specific amount of words, rather than timing a reply like you would in a real debate.

We need to make sure that we have a structure of rules before we start. Any other suggestions? bounce
Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 pm

That's a good idea Avery. Are we going to limit the debate to, for example, side one makes their point, side two cross questions them, side two makes their point, side one cross questions them, they each make a final argument, and then we're done? Or are we going to let if go on as long as people keep making points? Also, are we going to assign sides, or let people pick their own?
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

What we should do is create a "New Topic" sheet, for each side so that we can have group debates. Then we can make another one for the final responses. ( If there's a more efficient way to do this, I'm sure the admins would love to help us Smile )

Who will judge the outcome? A few of us? Maybe parents? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brooke
Admin
Brooke

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am

Has someone come up with an idea of a debate? Were we still going to have a debate over the forums (mine or Alex's)?
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Very Happy Ha! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:40 pm

We should debate over Macs or PCs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

YESS!!

I am a PC user and I HATE IT!
I have never used a mac before, so I really don't have much of a say.
Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Apple is worlds better.
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 am

I don't know,
I really would like to learn Linux. For now I have to suffer with Windows 7. Linux is great because you can write any kind of program for anything, to make it work the way you want it to. (How do I know this?) My brother is anti Windows and anti Mac so he became a Linux guy. He's convinced me for sure. Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

Is this brother older or younger? Never listen to older brothers, mine once told my sister that bazookas were guns for hunting groundhogs and other small animals. She believed them for a long time.
I've never even heard of Linux, but it would have to be pretty darn amazing to beat Apple. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Avery R.

Avery R.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 12:34 pm

He's 3 1/2 years older than me Smile I've been told a couple of "sure stories" too.

I also have 2 older sisters: 6 years and 9 years older than me. The youngest always gets filled with the most interesting nonexistent topics Suspect

Oh well Very Happy I can't say I didn't learn anything from them HAHA!! lol!

They're all married too, it's fun to have more siblings! We get along ok Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brooke
Admin
Brooke

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 8:36 pm

I am so lost. tongue

Did you know that there is a page just for debate? I think Alex has to activate it but I am not completely sure.
Back to top Go down
Rachel P.

Rachel P.

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Avery, I am so sorry! Sad I had no idea you were the youngest. Razz
I love my older brothers, but I still know not to listen to what they tell me. Cool
And Macs are better. I've tried using PCs and it was the most inconvenient thing I've ever done. Jk, but still, Macs are WAY easier to work with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Internet Debate?   Over-the-Internet Debate? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Over-the-Internet Debate?
Page 1 of 1